lundi 7 avril 2008

Using Blog with ESL Students

I experimented a writing blog as a student at university. The teacher had every students create their own blog in the purpose of using it for her course. She also had a blog where she put information and directives about our homework and writing projects. Every week we had to make an entry, it had to be an academic one or a free one depending of the directives of the teacher. Sometimes it had to be related to our readings and sometimes we could talk about subject that we wanted to share with other people of our class such as our favourite movie, sport, hobby or personal interests. The teacher was visiting every blog to see the work done and give feedbacks on our subjects and mistakes, since it was a writing class. We were encourage to visit the blogs of all our classmates too and give them feedback, at least to five other students. Having a blog in this class gave me the opportunity to know a bit more about my classmate and it gave me computer knowledge.

This blog project was done in a university course but it would be doable with secondary students as well. These students will get writing and computer skills. I would be less willing to use blogs with elementary students even though I know some teachers who are doing fine with that level of students. If you have the resources and the technology at your school it is great project to try with your ESL students.

Here is the link of the blog I have made for my written communication university course:
http://olligator-writtencommunication.blogspot.com/

Aucun commentaire: